Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Sick time :-(

I didn't have time to blog at all in the past two weeks because both girls were sick. They caught a stomach bug at 2 months of age when they kept on throwing up, had a rash and green diarrhea. We didn't know if they were gassy and had their poo changed as they grew up until HY had broken out into a rash all over her body, then, we took them to the doctor. Well, not much the doctor could do. They eventually got better on their own in a few days. They were just more gassy and we had to burp them more otherwise they spit up a large amount of milk. We only fed them breatmilk then.

Two Saturdays ago, I was driving to work. WY kept on calling me. He usually would not call while I was at work unless something that he needed to tell me. Finally I parked my car and called him back. He said HY had a fever of 102. What?! I was worried. I noticed she had a stuffy nose last night sleeping but I thought it could also be her heavy breathing. It turned out they both caught RSV. Well, our sleepless nights began -- yes, all four of us.

It was hard for all of us. The girls had a lot of post nasal congestion and they kept on coughing if they laid down to sleep. It was not comfortable and difficult to breath if you were chocking by your postnasal drip and you needed to breath through your mouth. So, our girls were so fuzzy if we put them down to sleep. The first night, HY had such a high fever and she was so tired, she cried and slept and cried. She didn't want to eat, neither. I woke her up every 4 hours to give her Tylenol. By the next day, her fever was down below 100.

EY started later than HY but EY had more severe symptoms. EY's fever was up at 101 even though we gave her Tylenol. She had so much post nasal drip that she would not let me put her down at all. I ended up holding her up right all night, yes, all night! One of my arms would fall in asleep because of lack of movement and her heavy head. I had to switch her to the other side of my shoulder. Poor girl, every time I moved, she woke up and cried and coughed. She was tired, not comfortable and feeling ill and not able to sleep. I didn't know how I pulled it off. I remembered looking at the clock in the living room and counting down the hours to sunrise, then to 7am.

WY didn't get much sleep neither. He had to take care of HY in our bedroom who woke up on and off every 1-2 hours and he had to walk her back to sleep.

The second night, both of them couldn't sleep on their back. After holding them till 1am, both of us were exhausted. An idea popped up my head. Remembered WY's brother used to push a stroller around the house to get CaY to fall in asleep. Let's try that. I set up the double stroller and put both of them in it. It worked! 5 minutes into it, both of them stopped crying and dozing off. I slowed down the pace gradually. Finally, they sounded sleep, with loud snoring. I brought out my blanket and slept on the sofa in case of the girls woke up and I could get to the kitchen quickly to push the stroller.

It was good that finally I could lay down to rest a bit. I was hoping they would sleep at least 2-3 hours in the stroller. Well, one of them woke up after 1 hour and I got up to push the stroller. Quickly, 2 mins, she fell back in asleep. I went back to my sofa and felt in asleep right away. I thought I slept for 4 hours but when I was awaken by the next cry, looking at the clock, it was just one hour later. As time went on, the girls woke up more frequently probably because they needed to stretch their bodies and they couldn't in the stroller.

Finally, the morning come...

No comments:

Post a Comment